My Croppy Summer Challenge #12 & #13 (with a Twist)

>> Wednesday, July 21, 2010

I have a confession to make: even though I live in a place where other people come to spend their summer holidays, I don't actually particularly enjoy summer myself. I mean, in the dead cold of winter I think that I love summer, but when it is actually here I realize that it is not my favorite season after all.

The heat, the humidity, the bright glaring sunlight that renders you blind when you come in from hanging out the laundry... not my favorite things. And this summer is panning out to be even less enjoyable than others since the pool still isn't ready to be used and we still haven't had the boat out on the lake since the new licensing requirements went into effect and no on in the family has their license yet. Oh yeah, and we also have a bear that has made himself at home on our property so at the moment we are having to keep the kids indoors. Fun, fun, fun...

Ok, enough whining.
I apologize but my husband is out of town and I have no one to vent to at the moment.

There is a point to all this complaining though and the point is that a couple of days ago I found someone else who shares my opinion of summer. And that someone just happens to be hosting a series of scrapping challenges, appropriately titled "My Croppy Summer".

So, since the one good thing about summer is that when it is hot outside no one really expects you to do housework or bake, I spent most of yesterday and this morning in my craft room with the AC and the iPod blasting, making layouts for Lori's challenge.These first two layouts are for Assignment #12 which was to use die cut paper. Both these pages are for Ellie's baby album, and you will notice that I am in a bit of a chocolate and pink mood. I am also in a bit of a lazy scrapping mood so both of these LO's are fairly simple as a result.

SUPPLIES
Making Memories die cut paper, brad, metal alphas
Maya Road shear journaling card
Heidi Swapp flowers
Unknown ribbon

SUPPLIES
American Crafts patterned paper, rub on
Bazzil cardstock
KI Memories die cut paper
K & Company bling, glitter alphas
Making Memories brad
Unknown ribbon



This third page is for Assignment #13: crumple, tear, antique or otherwise distress something on your layout. I wasn't feeling very inspired so I turned to one of my favorite sketch sites for help and used Twisted Sketch #58. It actually worked out really well since the twist for this sketch happened to be "texture". Hopefully it is apparent in the picture that I did a lot of distressing and roughing on the paper edges, and my flowers are made of crumpled songbook pages. The chip alphas are textured and the brads are corduroy, so that should satisfy everyone.




SUPPLIES
My Mind's Eye patterned paper
Sassafras patterned paper, playing cards
DCWV chip alphas
Pink Paislee brads
American Crafts thickers
Vintage songbook pages




And I just noticed that Lori has posted Assignment #14 so I am going to take a look at it and see if I can't squeeze one more page in before I have to start thinking about dinner for the kids.

4 comments:

Julie Tucker-Wolek July 21, 2010 at 7:41 PM  

Wowwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww!! These are all gorgeous!!! WOW!!! You are amazing!!!! And I live in AZ...so I totally hear you on not liking the summer... of course... my summer won't be over until Thanksgiving...but hey... whatcha gonna do?? LOL! :):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):)

Deb July 22, 2010 at 12:46 AM  

Such sweet LO's.I love the sweet baby girl layout those photo's are so adorable and loving your handmade flowers.

Francine July 22, 2010 at 1:01 AM  

Sarah I love the flower embellishment with the ribbon bow on the Pink layout. Did you take the flower off the baby's headband, or is that just coincidence that they're the same?!
Great idea to use the song lyrics for your journalling on the Girls LO. Wonderful handwriting you have too!

Lori July 22, 2010 at 12:46 PM  

First - I'm glad you found the Apron Strings blog and are hunkered down creating these beautiful pages! They are goregous! Second, Amen on the I hate summer sentiments; isn't the glaring, harsh light icky? :) Humidity isn't something I typically have to deal with here in aird Colorado, but it's awful when it comes, if only because it's uncommon! Hope to see more of your great work!

Post a Comment