Why do you create?

>> Monday, January 30, 2012

There really is no rhythm of reason to the why and how I craft. I pull out a blank card, add a little bit of this, a little bit of that ... But the result is always the same, I always take a step back and mutter "Did I really make that?" Sometimes the question is asked in delighted surprise, while other days it is asked in defeated disgust (like this one!). I have a tendency to look at all the other blogs, racks of cards, and everywhere, all those talented ladies and wonder how it is that every single creation they seem to make is always perfect while only about half of my attempts are even remotely good enough to share. Its easy to get down on certain days because I feel like I will never attain the status of "good enough to sit down and make a masterpiece every single time".

But its not about creating masterpieces that I about scrapbooking and card making. Its about preserving and creating memories for the and about the people I love. My pathetic little attempts at uninspired creativity are just reminders that the reason I craft, is not about me, but about others. Creating things of beauty to give away, share, and express just how much I love the people around me. Its usually the cards and layouts that I think are the least attractive or technically correct that I get the highest compliments or praises about. Its because the people look deeper than just the surface. They see the smudge marks, and glue drips, or in some cases, misspelled words and hasty corrections. There is love there that will never compete with the fancy store bought cards you can get with their witty sayings. But my cards carry part of me and the love I have for the recipient.

That is why I create.

Why do you create?

SUPPLIES:
Scrapbox full of ancient tidbits.

1 comments:

Lisa Elton January 30, 2012 at 3:19 PM  

Oh sweetie your works are certainly not pathetic! I love to check into my blog and find you have a new and MOST delightful little something to share.
And this little something is truly special. I love the cluster of circles and the fun banner Rebecca. Very cute ;)

Post a Comment